Sunday, October 25, 2020

Artists Cinema : Ranjini Krishnan


Dir: Ranjini Krishnan 


Artist’s Statement 

Daughters of Scheherazade opens itself to the possibility of a re-telling of a very masculine story around virginity. The ill-lit nuptials chamber becomes the contemplative space where gaze and voice come for a face-to-face encounter. I invoke Scheherazade to overcome the anxiety of this claustrophobic encounter. And as the filmmaker my attempt is to come out of the chamber without getting beheaded so that I have a story for my sisters. 

The project has tenuous relation with the whole process of researching and writing, even when it remains informed by psychoanalytically informed ethnographic research, I undertook around Indian wedding night and its erotic economy. I am interested in creating permeable environments through my practice, where both the acts of theorising and filmmaking are imagined to be in perpetual flux and in need of constant re-imagining of their object domain. This work is an experiment in that direction. 


Click here to watch the film :  

Password : ac2020

No comments:

Post a Comment